View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Iceblossom

Ah, the last of the bolt dilemma, Conchalea. I guess it was ok for your moratorium goals that they didn't give you a discount on the remainder.

At Joann, most of the staff don't have much leeway.

At other places though... I've seen some behavior that I just can't figure out.

At a quilt shop once a few years ago when I was collecting solid purple fabrics, I brought up the 4-5 bolts and with one I said, all I want is half a yard each but this is so short I'll take it all if you give me a discount on the rest. (First point to understand is this store has a stated policy for discounts on short bolts) Clerk got huffy and said she couldn't do that, cut my half yard and then when she went to put it back on the bolt and found there was only about 30 inches left, she offered then to sell me the remnant.

Unfortunately for her, although I would have bought it all as one piece I had no desire to have two pieces of the same fabric the same color and since I have a personal rule of never buying less than half a yard, all I really needed from the half yard I bought was 7 inches and someone else would have simply just bought a quarter. So now instead of clearing out a bolt they had to deal with the remnant that not many people would be wanting.