View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 06:30 AM
ktbb

several ideas and you'll need to figure out what works for you. My experience is that different sizes of quilts may require different sizes of bindings. I wouldn't want to put a quarter inch binding on a very large quilt (usually) and wouldn't want a large/wide binding on a small quilt. Here's a trick a local quilter taught me and it works well.

This is for the double fold French binding which many quilters use:

1 - decide how wide you want the finished binding to be...quarter inch, three eighths inc, half inch, etc. this is determined by the size of the seam allowance you take.

2 - Now - do you finish your binding by hand or by machine? it makes a difference in how wide to cut your strip. If you envision the side (cut) view of the finished binding you see the double layer of binding fabric in the seam allowance then folded back over the SA and around to the back of the quilt ---six layers of fabric in the binding strip which curves around the quilt body. Now....

- finish by hand? multiply your final size by 7 to cut. Multiplying by 7 accommodates the length required by folding the binding over the edge of the quilt and at the original seamline. If you only multiply by 6 you might not be able to cover the machine stitch line.
- finish by machine? multiply final size by 7 and add 1/4 inch to cut. This extra width allows enough fabric to cover the initial seamline and have fabric that the machine can easily catch as you finish by machine.