Thread: large applique
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 09:16 AM
eltsorb

Default large applique

Hello again! Since the website update, it looks like posts on this forum from Dec. 26-29 were lost so I will post again. Thanks to those of you who replied - I had questions for you, but they are likely lost with my original post.

My son asked me to make a superman quilt so I decided to use a large (2' x 3') reproduction of the Superman shield/logo on a blue background. Past experience with fusing medium size appliqués has been disappointing as the appliqué area of the quilt bubbled and wrinkled after washing, and I don't want that to happen to this large Superman appliqué.

I am looking for a way to attach the red to the yellow and ultimately the red/yellow shield to the large blue background so it lays flat with no puckers. What do you suggest?

1. Do you know of a fusible that won't cause the bubbles/wrinkles from washing?

2. Someone mentioned using a glue stick to attach all the pieces, so I went to Jo-Ann and bought a Fons & Porter Water Soluble Fabric Glue Stick - anyone have opinions/experience with this?

3. Another mentioned using bias tape to protect the raw edges around and in the shield, which is brilliant!

4. Any more pearls of wisdom?

I plan to FMQ over the entire quilt.

Thanks for any tips you can provide!
Attached Thumbnails superman-shield.jpeg  

Last edited by eltsorb; 12-31-2019 at 09:20 AM.