View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 06:45 PM
NJ Quilter

Welcome from NJ. As Tartan says, you want to use a specifically labeled hand quilting thread. Color depends on whether you want your quilting to show up more or less. I tend to use contrasting thread in my blocks so you can see all the hard work you are putting into the quilt! Hand quilting in the ditch can be difficult so you may want to consider quilting about 1/4" on either side - echo quilting.

Hand quilting is, essentially, a running stitch. Do some googling if you haven't already. Many folks refer to it as a 'rocking stitch'. If you have access, you'll want to use a 'between' needle for your quilting stitches. They are shorter; sharper and stronger than typical hand sewing needles. Personally I like Roxanne needles and normally use a size 11. But those are pretty tiny if you are just starting out. A size 9 or 10 might be easier to use for your first project. The goal is to make your stitches consistent - not necessarily tiny. That will come with time and practice.

You may also want to make yourself up a practice/starter sandwich. About 12" square or whatever you have scrap pieces of laying around. Sandwich it as normal and do a few stitches in it first to get your rhythm going before jumping into your quilt. Do this each time until you really have the muscle memory down for your quilting stitches. It helps improve your first bit of stitching in your actual quilt.

It may not seem like it but there are many of us hand quilters here on the board. I'm sure more will jump in with more/better suggestions.

Just remember to enjoy the process - it's not a race!