View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 05:04 AM
AprilM

My Happy Place isnt huge, so i pretty much gotta tidy up and put away any leftovers once i have finished with a project and want to start another. I have learned to be ok with that (even though its not natural to me!).

My sewing room is a converted bedroom adjacent to our living area (open floor plan) and can readily be seen by any and all visitors and residents of the household. It was a big enough stretch for hubby to close his eyes while we had the room painted lilac (its actually very subtle and relaxing - in some light it looks almost a very light gray - so its not screaming purple!). I could have taken the more “remote” bedroom down the hall, but ultimately decided on the larger, more visible one because of the great light from two big windows most of the day (west & south windows). Having a smaller area forces me to be more organized so it does reinforce more positive habits on my part!

Yes, i try to stay a little tidier - but im not extreme! I dont put a project away until im done with it - otherwise why bother having a sewing room, right? Im thankful to be done with the days when i sewed at the dining room table and had to pick everything up anytime i sewed so we could eat dinner! I am very happy with my little “nest” 😊 and being more organized has its pluses in that i have a very comfortable and cozy room where two people can sew without bumping into each other and feeling cramped. I have my main sewing machine, a small work table, and my sitdown long arm set up in an “island” in the middle of the room. I also have separate ironing and cutting areas along opposite walls. I also have a treadle and a small bookcase in the room. The closet with double doors... well, not so organized but i am trying to get some fabric used up so i can get a handle on that area too!