View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 05:54 PM
kkranig

So, I measured from the foot to the screw and it measures 1 1/2" and the throat measures 6 1/2" from needle to inside edge. From top to bottom it measures 5 1/2". I have come to a couple of conclusions:
1. This board is awesome!!! Everyone is so helpful!! I am so glad that I found this board. It has been a lifesaver.
2. I have a book on first time quilting for absolute beginners that starts with small projects like potholders and coasters, then works up to placemats and table runners and then ends with a lap quilt. Each project is designed to teach new skills and build on the others. I am going to start here. I figure this will not only give me some good sewing and quilting experience first before I take on a big project. I discovered today that there is a quilt shop 60 miles away and one 120 miles away. I have reached out to the one that is 120 miles away, but have not tired to reach the closer one. I figured, I will just stop in there sometime.
3. I think I am going to try my machine with the small projects and look for a different machine in the meantime. I have a few questions out to quilt shops and family who quilt to find some recommendations. I figured by the time I get to the lap quilt, I should have figured out which machine to get.

That being said. Starting with the small objects, if my machine will quilt them do I just leave the normal presser foot on or should I put the darning plate and the darning foot on? Also, do I need to adjust tension and stitch length and width? The manual does not give instructions for quilting. I will check the quilting book.
I of course will play with the machine first and get the tension right for the piecing and then I can test with some cloth and batting and see what it does.