View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 AM
rryder

Many years ago I learned exactly what I’d take if I had to get out with no warning or time to pack/plan.. We were living in the city at the time and there was a furniture factory across the alley directly behind out house. I opened the back door to let my dog out into the back yard and realized I couldn’t see anything due to smoke. Shut the back door, put a leash on my dog and ran out the front with her in tow. From there I could see the factory was on fire and burning embers were falling on the roof of my house and also my neighbors. Every house on that block was more than 100 years old and made of wood. Things did not look good. While standing there I watched my neighbors running back into their houses to rescue items. I thought about our keepsakes, musical instruments, pictures and artwork we’d made or that was made by friends and decided they were: memories, things I could replace, more memories, opportunities to make more creative stuff etc. I’d already gotten the two things that couldn’t be replaced out of the house, my dog and me. Long story short, the fire was put out, our roofs hosed down, little smoke damage, more damage to factory, but we lucked out.

If I had more time, I’d include prescriptions and important papers etc.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-04-2020 at 04:21 AM.