Old 01-05-2020, 05:10 AM
illinois

I'm a machine piecer and hand quilter. SuzyQOH and I sound pretty much the same! I never learned to use a metal thimble--can't tell exactly where that needle is--but I use the leather thimble that has a metal circle in it. I believe Clover makes that one. I wore out a lot of the leather ones that didn't have the metal circle! I prefer quilting thread but, if the color I want isn't available, I use regular sewing thread. Quilting thread doesn't seem to tangle as much so is nice but I don't find the other objectionable. After all, it's intended for holding fabrics together! I use a 14" hoop that I purchased from JoAnn's many years ago but I don't think they carry it any more. One of my friends found one online--I believe Dritz makes it now? It's is a nice weight pvc sort of material and has a ridge inside the one hoop so it fastens down tight to grip the fabric. I use quilter's pins for basting and can move those around to avoid the hoop. I have an Aunt Becky but have never learned to use it. I've had a pretty sore underside finger over the years but am learning where that needle point is that I don't seem to stick myself as often. When that finger does get sore, I find rubbing a bit of antibiotic ointment into it at bedtime takes care of that. As to batting, I like a puffy quilt so always use poly batting. For a table topper you probably will prefer a flat batting though so I have no thoughts on how that quilts. When I'm ready to do the quilting, I set up a card table next to my sofa which is a bit tall and can prop the hoop between my lap and the table, put my supplies on the table and the excess quilt on the sofa next to me. (My kitty claims that part!) I like using this set-up as I can turn the hoop to best advantage for my hands/arms--no contortions! Too, it's portable so I can put it away if having visitors or I can take it with me if sewing with friends. Needles are the Tweens and you may experiment with that Go for evenness of your stitches. Tiny will come with practice. Once it's being used, nobody will notice if they aren't uniform or tiny--including yourself. Not long ago, I had reason to do a big stitch embellishment and it was kinda fun after working on the tiny part for so long. Enjoy the process!

At a time when so many are opting for machine quilting, it's nice to find that there are some of us who are still enjoying the art of hand quilting.