View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 08:09 AM
PaulaMiceli

Unhappy Red Fabric Ran on White Blocks

Hi, I realize there are other entries on this site about fabric running, but I’m in the middle of the “run mess” and am not sure what steps to take now, or if I need to just give up and trash my Christmas quilt.

My quilt is backed with a good-quality quilt fabric that is red on red (poinsettias). However, the top is primarily white, with red appliqued poinsettias. The top was given to me, so I can’t be sure of the quality of the fabric used. I did not pre-wash the backing fabric before quilting.

Yesterday I washed the quilt in my top-load HE machine on a delicate cycle with cold water, adding two color-catchers. When I removed the quilt from the washer, I noticed some pink staining on the top in places. It was late at night and lighting was not at a degree that I could tell if this was an all-over problem or not. I soaked the quilt overnight in OxyClean and also added three color-catchers.

This morning the soak water was red, most of the formerly white color of my quilt is pink, and the color-catchers were only light pink. I’ve now transferred the quilt to the bathtub with about a gallon of vinegar and four color catchers. My husband has gone to the store for Blue Ultra Dawn.

What is your opinion about next steps to take? I’m hopeful that the vinegar will remove the red staining of my white blocks, but am doubtful. Is there anything that can be done at this point? How long should I do the vinegar rinses, and should I proceed to the Blue Ultra Dawn step or try something else?