View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 07:49 AM
Iceblossom

Don't be too hard on yourself, Cattitude. If you buy only enough for your project and turn it around and out, it doesn't count as adding to stash even if you did buy something. Isn't it funny how with all this fabric we have, we always seem to need just one more? Same thing, Motor, if you use them then don't feel guilty.

Wish we were closer or at least in the same country, I'd let you shop my stash for pinks (have quite a bit) and grays -- not so many, they've come out as a fashion color just as I have stopped buying fabric. My next project does use a piece of grey background with small cherry blossoms, but I'm going more graphic with black and yellow.

Not ready to show a picture yet but I think it's rather funny in some ways but I also think it's going to work. I was going through my stash looking to see if I had one particular piece of fabric (I did, but I had turned it into bindiing for another project). And as I was looking for something that had black and yellow and was medium scale, out popped a piece of Minion fabric. I love the Minions (Despicable Me), they just crack me up. My sewing kit is a big Minions lunch box shaped thing. When I see Minion fabric I've picked up a piece or two, but they haven't made it out into too many quilts yet.

So I have a really strange collection of fabric I'm using for this project. One very large scale bold graphic black and yellow and white floral. One soft grey with black branches and yellow and white cherry blossoms, and one large but not really obvious floral of yellow and white and black outlines. Plus Minions! Black and white and yellow. It goes in just fine in terms of scale and colors even if not theme.

It's me trying to be bold and use things from a design sense instead of some "appropriateness" sense. It's the nice thing for me in terms of using up fabric that most of my projects are donations anyway, and at the very least it keeps someone warm. It lets me reach and take chances that I wouldn't take when I'm trying to make the perfect quilt for someone.

Besides, I shall release some of the merry mayhem of the Minions into the world! Mwahaha