Thread: "Winthrop" VSM
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Bags

Default "Winthrop" VSM

Soooo, my DH and I were wandering through the antique mall this morning looking for hand woodworking tools for his wood shop that he is setting up to make guitars. And over in the corner I saw this lovely machine.

I thought I would research it first before I did something foolish. It does have a serial number. Tag says it runs great and of course I could plug it in and try it. It is in a table, only a couple of bobbins with it and no other attachments but its ready to sew. Higher price tag than the other two.

Did I mention that this was the third of three VSMs I saw today. The other two are Singers. One is a "27" and the other is either a 156 or 66. We forgot the sequence of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th numbers by the time we got to a pen and paper. Very reasonably priced, but not sure how much restoration I feel I could be able to do on either one of these.

The 27 is lovely. The decals are in good shape, but its just the machine and nothing else.

The 2nd one looks like it was splattered with paint, but the decals look good. When the wheel is turned, the needle does move with ease. The spool pin on top is bent too. It does come in a table, which also needs work and attachments that look like they've never been used.

I always thought these VSMs were beautiful, but now after reading on this board that they're wonderful machines to use, I've caught the bug to actually use one (or more) for sewing.

Don't know whether to thank you all or …

Anyway, I have not been able to find anything at all about the "Winthrop" name. I've looked at ISMACS but don't see this name. Tried to google it and only a picture of a circa 1960's machine comes up. Does anyone know where to look?

Thank you so much
Carol

Last edited by Bags; 01-08-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: misspelled word