View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 09:27 AM
Kissamew

I just came across this thread. I recently purchase a Bernina 530 Record from an auction on eBay. Original case, extension table, 11 unmarked feet (Bernina apparently started stamping numbers a little later), swing out accessories holder, original owners manual and the original sales receipt, 1957, etc. Mine has some wear on the arm (one corner, not too shabby). I scanned the book with an app on my iPhone so I can make notes and have larger print, plus preserve the manual. Mine has a knee lever. I just took it in for service, so I won't be seeing it for a couple of weeks. The ladies at the shop were very excited to see "her". There are two "nylon" gears when you look down into the top. I pull up the top by supporting both sides of the top at the front end and lifting. Line it up with the levers and snap it back down into place when you are finished. No hinges. The book tells you where and what to look for to oil the machine and even the two places near the motor . The arm plate can be removed by using your finger to feel for a latch in the upper left side of the bobbin area that releases the cover. The book even tells how to remove the motor cover. It is about the size of my Singer 239. Both are real cuties, and in really nice cosmetic condition, so I am happy to have them.
As for presser feet, I didn't buy Bernina prior because I also had the impression they only could use Bernina attachments. So nice to know I may be able to use the attachments I am accustomed to! Mine has round shank feet, so I look for those on eBay just because of the collector challenge, I suppose. However, I find quite a few "newer" old style Bernina feet online. Finding information on the vintage Bernina has been a challenge. And I thought the Singer 239 was! Maybe one day I will be interested in the newer computer models...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-09-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps