View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 10:17 AM
tropit

I just received a book on fermenting grains, soy beans, etc. OMG! This is the most informative book I've ever found on the subject. I'm in fermenting heaven! I'm excited to start my fermenting journey in the kitchen. The book is titled: "Miso - Tempeh - Natto & Other Tasty Ferments, A Step-by-Step Guide to Fermenting Grains and Beans," by Kirsten K. Shockey & Christopher Shockey.

For many years, I made dairy cheeses s/a brie, red linens, blue, cheddar, etc. I loved making them and of course, eating them. But I've moved on to a diet that has little, or no dairy in it and I've really missed the cheese. I do now buy a nice, almond cream cheese at the store, but it's super expensive. So, I started looking for cultures and techniques that I could use with nut milks and grains. It turns out that you can ferment beans, nuts and grains to make cheese, yogurt and other interesting foods and some taste very similar, if not even better than dairy cheeses. YES! Other items they talk about in the book are Koji/Amazake, Stinky Tofu and Chao, Dosas, Poha Idli, Tua Nao, Myanmar Tofu...lots of exotic stuff. There's some really good technical information about fermenting and equipment in the book too.

I know, this topic is a little, "out there," for many of you, but if fermenting is your thing, then you should check this book out.

~ C