View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Different shops cut/ package kits differently, some just barely give you enough, so any litter error you are screwed, some are quite generous. The best thing to do is complete the top as instructed and if you have enough leftovers go ahead and create your border with them.
I agree with ckcowl. I have never bought a quilt kit but I have bought wool applique kits and they are very stingy and in some cases I have even been shorted a piece. I think if you only used 1/4 of the fabric provided to make a block that they may just call for that fabric again in one of the other blocks or possibly sashing as those instructions are usually given at the very end of the BOM and the fabric it isn't kitted with the other block(s) and or sashing or setting strips or cornerstones that use it.

I always wait until my top center portion is completed before making any borders, pieced or one solid run of fabric. Too many variables from error in pattern to piecing inconsistencies that could result in a slightly different measurement in the top. If the border is pieced I want to know what final size I need before piecing it so if I need to "fudge" a seam allowance I can decide the most inconspicuous place to put the fudge.