Old 01-12-2020, 10:54 AM
bkay

I've re-written this post twice, as I don't want to be either too negative nor too positive. Let me start with a quick story. My sister-in-law took a quilting class years ago and decided quilting was not for her. I kept wondering what happened. Then, one day she noticed a Blue ribbon winning quilt in my cabinet that was gifted to me by a dear friend. It was a Dresden Plate (no wonder she decided quilting wasn't for her). Fortunately, the quilt shop ladies talked me out of starting on a huge project like that. I had planned a queen size Log Cabin quilt as my first endeavor, but ended up making a disappearing nine patch for my first. It was easy to make and was just a lap quilt, so not too big. I also had it quilted, so that took a lot of pressure off.

This quilt is gorgeous, but doesn't appear to be an easy quilt to make and it's a large quilt. It will take a while to make it. Unless you are a lot further along in your quilting skills than I am, it will take a lot of ripping and resewing. Of course you can do it. The question is how long will it take and will you burn out before you get there.

I would suggest you look closely at the pattern and see what you are going to be required to do. Then break it down into sections, which seems doable (maybe make all of a certain kind of triangle or just one border). When you get one section done, maybe put it away for a while. You might want to have some easy sewing projects that you can do that will give you a sense of accomplishment. Then go back to your French General quilt and tackle another section.

This is just my opinion. I lose interest if a project takes too long. I got stuck on one quilt last year and didn't accomplish much in the way of quilting. So, just take my opinion with a grain of salt.

bkay