View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 11:02 AM
gillyo

Default Old School Ironing

I've been working on several scrap quilts and have been faced with a tub full of wrinkled odd sized scraps. I'd been working my way through it with liquid spray starch but the cost and the stains it sometimes causes was getting me down.

While thinking through this dilemma I suddenly remembered how my mother prepared her ironing for years. She would take items that needed to be ironed from the dryer, (or clothesline) while they were still damp. Then she would sprinkle them with water, roll them up and put them in an old pillowcase. Then she would sprinkle more water on the pillowcase and put it in the freezer for a day or two.

When she was ready to iron, she'd pull out a few items while the iron was heating up, and then start ironing. Everything came out great. Of course, she'd been ironing since she was 6!

Anyway, I tried her trick on my scraps except I soaked them in a bowl of water and laid them flat inside a pillowcase. After freezing for a day I pulled them out and ironed them. They came out beautiful! I had to use a little starch on some stubborn pieces, but the rest of them were quicker to iron and had a nice soft feel, not stiff like even diluted starch can make them. Also, no stains!
​​​