View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Railroadersbrat

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
We were all set for the heavy storms here and we didn't get it. We had lots of rain and some icing but not what was predicted for our area. Others around us were not as lucky. We didn't even lose power which is unusual when we have ice storms and heavy rains. I can relate to how scary it must have been when the breakers all blew! It would shake up the best of us.
One of the things that always amazed my husband was my ability to read or to sew even without power. My treadle is kept in fine working order and there are always oil lamp. Though admittedly I do not sew when it gets dark as I don't want an oil lamp that close to my sewing. But reading is always an option with an oil lamp. .
We ended up with more than what was predicted, a lot more. So much flooding around me in just a brief time and we did get some ice/sleet Saturday morning but not enough to really do much.

I'm always so jealous of those that have treadle machines, it's always been a dream of mine to get one. I have a friend that has one but it will need such a huge amount of TLC if I ever got my hands on it because she stores it on her back deck, so I'm sure there is a lot of rust and the wood is in bad, bad shape. Maybe someday I'll find one, I hope anyway :-)

Maybe pick hubby's brain about lighting around the treadle for when the power goes out? I know it doesn't happen often, but this past weekend got my other half to thinking and if we can find oil lamps, he's going to get a couple to hang from the wall. I've got a tealight chandelier that hangs from the ceiling right behind me, I didn't light it up this past weekend because we were running around making sure the house was okay but when I do light it, I've got enough that I could have quilted, it lights up the whole room.