View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 01:59 PM
charley26

Thanks for this review! Informative and funny at the same time.
My daughter has embraced the vegan life over the last year, previously vegetarian (as am I); she is looking into making her own vegan 'cheese' at some point this year. I will be sure to pass on your experience. She and her family visited and stayed for 7 days over Christmas, I joined in her vegan meals, her husband, their children, and my son and his family are all omnivores. My son's contribution to the meals was a very large selection of beautiful (real) cheeses - all totally delicious, and there was enough for both families to take some home when they left. I love cheese and dairy, and this is the main reason why I will not go down the vegan lifestyle.
I had bought some vegan 'cheese' from the supermarket in preparation for my daughter, one was a 'mozzarella' type, and the other was a 'cheddar' type. They looked like their namesakes, but did not smell like the said cheeses! They were made from coconut oil if I remember correctly. I used them sparingly in some of the recipes I had planned, I did not like either of them.
My daughter uses 'Nutritional Yeast flakes' to add a 'cheesy' flavour/kick to her meals, it is rich in Vit D, B Vits, and Zinc apparently, and apparently vegans love it - here in the UK anyway.
I will be interested to see how her attempt will turn out!!!