Old 01-18-2020, 05:56 PM
Quiltah Mama

Default Dead spot in rotary blade....again, help!!

I'm sure this topic has been posed in the past, but I am frustrated.......I replaced my rotary blade with a brand new blade ( the rotary cutter and blade are the same brand name), and before I was even through cutting out one quilt, I had a dead spot, argh..... We have all experienced this I'm sure at one time or another. We all know rotary blades are expensive, but a good sharp blade is a must for many reasons. I love my rotary cutter and am very happy with it, and when there is a sale on their blades, I stock up, but it is still expensive. I am very careful about how I cut, not to much pressure but enough to cut the fabric, angle in relation to the ruler, covering blade with safety mechanism after each use. What I'm curious about is how do you handle this. Do you have a blade sharpener that you use and are happy with, what is your experience/opinion about resharpening blades,is it worth the investment of a trucut , either electric or the manual one, or are there other sharpening options out there that you have tried and liked. I've seen off brand blades on Amazon that are very inexpensive, is that a good option, and if so, how do you pick the one that will work with your rotary cutter (I have several cutters, and the centers of the blades seem different on some)? If there are other options for rotary blades not mentioned, I would love to hear about them and what your experience is with them. Thank you in advance for all who respond, I truly do appreciate your help.