Old 01-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Iona D.

Default Do You Think That Modern Imported Sewing Machines Are So Disposable?

My last Janome-made-Kenmore electronic assisted mostly mechanical sewing machine broke down last week right in the middle of putting together a small quilt top. It’s shy of me having it for 10 years this March. I replaced it with 2 new basic Janome completely mechanical ones from a big box store rather than attempt to repair it. The nearest Janome dealer is about 15 miles away. The last time I checked, they charge 50 dollars just to walk in, them it goes up very rapidly. It was hard to part with this machine. I always used to support either Sears or my local (only a short distance away) Generic Sewing Machine Repair Shop by bringing my sewing machines to them for tune ups and/or needed repairs. Sears no longer supports sewing machines like they used to (or even offer Kenmore Sewing Machines) and my generic local repair shop closed over a decade ago. Since then, I maintain and repair them myself with the help of the included instruction booklets and the Internet. If it’s more than I can handle or do myself…...I have to replace rather than repair.

I do this with every appliance or device I have now. I still remember the repair shops for every appliance or device in existence at that time lining up on the main streets where my parents, or later myself, lived. I also remember that the devices seem to be far more sturdy, reliable, and longer lasting than the plastic-y things that line the shelves and the web pages nowadays.

So my buying habits reflect this new reality. Both of the new sewing machines were bought from not only a big box store that offers a very generous long running 3 months return policy (in case the device is defected) I don’t need lessons-I was once a professional level designer/sewer & worked in the fashion industry for years before it was shipped overseas-or any hand holding beyond machine exchange or refund if it’s not working properly with little or no hassle beyond proof of purchase. Sometimes some of the dealers get a bit edgy when they are faced with a problem new machine. They might try to do a major tinkering around when the machine is simply a hugely defective lemon. They are now 100% mechanical
built with a vertical front loading metal bobbin instead of the more popular top loading drop in one. Too much problematic plastic and no way of making at home adjustments since it’s set at the factory. I do keep only one drop in top loading sewing machine now that’s only a electronic assist (i.e. a 1 step Buttonhole option) mostly mechanical model SP3201 device from the former Spiegel company . I bought it last year before Spiegel closed down probably forever. It’s a nice machine that I am now “retiring” it to simply only making buttonholes and/or more fancy stitches. The other ones are better for straight or zig-zag construction stitches workhorses that I prefer and use 99% of the time anyway.

So my question for all of you are as follows:
Do you use/own Mechanical, Electronic, or completely Computerize sewing machines no matter what brand?

Do you upgrade your sewing machines periodically for more options?

Do you prefer the basic sewing machines (like I do) or go for possibly hundreds of stitch options and features beyond basic construction needs?

The next time you are in the market for a new sewing machine, would you buy from a big box store or a independent dealer?

How do you visualize the future of the sewing machine and quilt making?

Thank all of you in advance!

Last edited by Iona D.; 01-22-2020 at 12:00 PM.