View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 05:09 PM
joolstacho

Default Dot and her ol' Bernina

I hope this isn't too self-indulgent, but anyway...
Some may have noticed my plaintive pleas of help regarding my Bernina KL117 and Bernina 540. My recent enthusiasm occurred when after about 35 years I re-discovered the dusty old 117 in the 'barn'. My brother had used this machine to make upholstery when he lived here in Australia back in the 70's.
The Bernina tugged my heartstrings because it immediately brought to mind the image of my dear departed ol' mum, Dot, at her Bernina with reading glasses perched on the end of her nose, turning out sewn masterpieces. (Perhaps with a G&T close at hand!)

Dot taught at Croydon Art College, England, in the Fashion Design department, and for some years made the Vogue England cover photo 'star' garments. Bernard Cassel was head of department at Croydon at the time, and was a distinguished fashion designer who ran his own Couture establishment in London for some time. A great, outrageous, hilarious character!

We used to say that Dot could just look at a person, and cut a perfect pattern for their dress without even measuring.
Back in the day, (we're talking 1960's 'Swinging London'), I was swanning around Chelsea and Carnaby street, heavily into the blossoming design/fashion scene. At one stage I did (under Dot's firm guidance), manage to make a pair of trousers, though I remember having all sorts of trouble with the fly/zipper area!

Dot's machine of choice was of course, the Bernina. Here's one of hers (anyone identify what model this is?) I seem to remember another industrial machine in the workroom too. Brother Daz has recently got this thing out and got it running. How nice that Dot's machine is warm and lives again. And after 50 years or so, my enthusiasm is re-kindled, though I must confess more now, from a mechanical fascination, than the sewing.

Attached Thumbnails dotsberninaopt.jpg