View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 07:25 AM
Hisownself

Default 1921 Singer 66 Bobbin roller issue

I hope someone can help with a bobbin issue I'm having with my 1921 Singer Model 66 (red dot) treadle sewing machine. It was my grandmother's (purchased new in 1923). The bobbin roller will not touch the spoked hand wheel. I can see that someone wrapped layers of tape long ago on the hand wheel where the roller is supposed to touch. The tape is well worn away and I want to restore to original function. Bobbins are the normal "modern" style (not the shuttle)

Singer serial# G9031407. Bobbin housing #32673. Original simco blue roller, 1.17" in diameter and in good shape. All mechanical function of the bobbin winder is correctly adjusted and operational (and at it's maximum adjustment distance). Hand wheel inside diameter (where the roller should touch) is 2.93 inches. But for the roller to touch the wheel, it would have to take up a gap of 0.2 inches (the hand wheel would need to have a diameter of 3.3 inches".
I'm a very mechanical person and I just cannot see what's the issue. I searched the internet for days looking at pictures and my machine looks like all the others, except this winder is hopelessly off from working. In fact if I take out the adjuster screw and move the roller assembly down as far as it will go, the left side of the mechanism hits the sewing maching body just as the roller makes contact with the hand wheel.