View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Iceblossom

The popularity of feedsacks and 30s reproductions should be in there somewhere. I think the first re-interest in feedsacks happened in the 70s. Which was also a time period when named designers were cutting up quilts and making garments from them. But the rise of 30s fabric was a huge thing, early 90s??. I never caught the bug myself. Other notable designers, Thimbleberries, I think that was following/roughly the same time as Civil War prints and made a huge change in the color wall. Mary Englebreict brought back color again around 2000? Laurel Burch, another distinctive style that affected color palettes.

Juliasb is correct, rulers came after. My first triangle actually had no markings but was meant for drafting and I got it at a drafting shop (was nice to work with engineers and find things that I could use for my own devices!).

When I put in safety pins, I debated about mentioning "and other quilting related notions". There didn't used to be a separate quilting notions area at all. I worked in a fabric store, btw, in about 1982. I think I have finally used up/given away all the fabric I collected in that time but it took quite awhile!

And just like sewing machines were being used for quilting, so was the internet. I started to do a lot of fabric swapping for about 4 years, roughly 1998-2002. I still am using fabric from back then. I believe one of the groups I was in set a standard for 10" squares for swapping, we arrived at that size because of a bug jar swap and different people were doing different sized jars and of course, the fabrics had different scales. We figured it was an efficient way to cut yardage and that everyone should be able to get a usable jar out of that size. Hadn't seen 10" as a swap size until then but it spread quickly.

Probably coming back too late to edit -- but I think the tv shows didn't come until the 90s. At least I've always watched public TV and don't remember them prior to my son who was born in 1988.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 02-06-2020 at 09:50 AM.