View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Iceblossom

I've been spray basting for about the last 20 years I think... first I went with safety pins after I stopped tying, So 1990s sounds about right. June Tailor was my preferred brand I think. I was able to use a friend's long arm for the last 5 or so years but am going back to being at home with my domestic. I haven't tried glue yet, was going to "next time" but a friend gave me a couple of cans of spray she found in the back of her cabinet I'll use first.

But a couple other big trends I thought about since my last cup of coffee -- watercolor quilts, that was early/mid-80s and I think led into the more current "low volume" concept.

The use of "reads like solids" instead of solids was a major change in the quilting world. I think it really took off with the early 90s and is still going strong. Used to be the solids rack was pretty large and impressive, now it's not worth the floor space for many LQS.

One Block Wonders and Stack and Whack were huge concepts, came out of our strip piecing mostly although one of my very first quilting ideas (and never made) was going to be a star carefully pieced from a woven plaid so that the pattern would make an overall design. My quilt concept was back in the 70s, but I think the OBW craze was more around mid-90s? I think my son was 10-12 when I made mine and that was towards the end of the boom.

Those darn flannel bulleyes were all over the place for a long time. Never appreciated them myself and glad that they seem to have largely gone away from guild shows

Last edited by Iceblossom; 02-06-2020 at 11:29 AM.