View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Rose_P

I just want to say that Alex Anderson was the biggest impetus for me to move forward with this hobby, although I had dabbled in quilting for many years before that. I watched several of the other shows that have been mentioned, too, but Simply Quilts, and some particularly enthusiastic guests on that show were very motivating. I loved, for example, Doreen Speckmann's Peaky and Spike. Also, in the early 1980's we began to be able to record programs off the TV, and if you were trying to learn a new technique or pattern it was wonderfully helpful to be able to review the critical parts of the instructions as needed. That alone was one of the most helpful innovations. For years I did not know any other quilters who could have helped me learn. Another show that was usually not about quilting was Carol Duvall's craft show. A few of her guests were quilters. I was particularly excited one time to watch Linda McGehee's demonstration of her spiraling technique. Some of the shows made me want to read the related quilt books, which in turn exposed me to other quilt books, and the result was a hobby that just continues to grow. Finally, not to be omitted is the start of this Quilting Board in 2006. I didn't discover it until several years later, but now I have literally thousands of quilting buddies who share their wonderful ideas and talents every day.