View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 01:35 PM
WMUTeach

Default First UFO for 2020 - 20 years in the making

OK folks on the UFO journey, here is my big reveal! My sister-in-law, who passed away 20 years ago, left 100 hand pieced blocks named Pontiac Star. I found them in a box with the magazine pattern/directions, her plan for layout and the plastic templates she made and used. I challenged myself to learn to hand piece and finished the additional 32 blocks needed to complete the quilt as she had planned early this fall.

She was a master quilter and hand quilted most of her work with the tiniest stitches imaginable. So to honor her intention, I next my next challenge was to learn to hand quilt and complete the quilt as she would have. My stitches are not as tiny as hers would have been but they are within the acceptable range and yes, I got much better as I progressed. I finished adding the label on Friday night and gifted it to her youngest son and his bride yesterday. He was about 15 when she passed away and did not have "grown up" quilt from her. Now he and his new wife have a quilt from both his mother and from me, his Auntie Linda.
Attached Thumbnails joey-ashley-keeler-2-8-20-resized.jpg   joey-ashley-keeler-2-8-2020-detaiil-resized.jpg   joey-ashley-keeler-2-8-2020-detail-2-resized.jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 02-09-2020 at 01:38 PM.