View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 05:51 AM
rvsfan

Originally Posted by dilyn View Post
The wind would not cooperate with my photo session so I brought it inside and put it on a bed. I made this quilt top 2 years ago. It started out to be a pineapple block quilt, but when the blocks were all done and I put them all together, it was ! The many colors did not play well together and looking at them made me dizzy! They definitely needed some space between them. I still have some others and I think they would make into some nice pillow shams. The central medallion is just a very large Dresden plate with a little added detail on the outer edge to make it into a ‘Dresden flower’. I had a lot of that diagonal border piecing left over and decided to use it for the binding…. Bad idea! Too much bulk in the seams. I do my binding entirely by machine because my hand stitching is not the best and I knew with all this white it was going to be washed a lot! Lesson learned Speaking of that, I washed it when it was finished because it was really dirty from being handled so much and then stored in a closet for 2 years. I was very surprised that the colors did not run at all! I used a color catcher, of course, but they did not show any staining. I bought them all from Connecting Threads.
Can someone please explain to me what's the technique used to make the border with the small squares of all the different fabrics used in this quilt ? I have seen this done on several quilts and really like the look and want to try it but can't figure out how . Thanks .