Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 PM
Peckish

"Hijacking"?? I'm pretty sure you mean "hacking".
I agree with Patrice about having a secured home network.
However, I'm less worried about a hacker accessing my financial data through a sewing machine connected to my home network (really, not probable at all) and more worried about my financial data being accessed because of carelessness and incompetence with companies and people who are supposed to be keeping that info secure but don't; i.e. Equifax, Target, etc.

A lot of the modern internet-enabled home devices do have benefits. I can open my garage door remotely for a friend who is returning a borrowed tool or dropping off a casserole; I can talk remotely to mail and delivery drivers and instruct them on where to place a package to best thwart porch pirates. I can diagnose an issue with a malfunctioning refrigerator, and remotely start my washing machine, which is handy in municipalities where you pay a premium price for using water and electricity during certain peak hours. Such technology isn't for everyone, however; if you don't feel quite up to the challenge of learning anything new, you can simply choose not to connect your devices to the internet. It's that simple.

Last edited by Peckish; 02-13-2020 at 08:11 PM.