View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 01:55 PM
Iceblossom

Meatloaf Try 1: Yesterday the Hubby called and said he was going to stop by the grocery store on the way home. Since he's gone keto we try and keep the food budget down to where we buy large amounts of meat at Costco, and otherwise we buy the good sales and markdowns. That means I can't really plan meals so much as respond to what's on sale. Anyway, told him to be on the lookout for ground meat and he got lucky and brought several things home. 80/20 ground beef on regular sale and markdowns on ground chicken and ground pork.

I had a package of McCormick Meat Loaf mix and followed directions using 1/2 cup of the ground lupin flour right out of the bag instead of 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs. The raw mixture was definitely rather soupy, I form my meat loaf and put it diagonally in a square pan, it did ok but maybe a loaf pan would be easier.

Unfortunately I cooked it about 10 minutes too long but first report is that it is ok. It slices easily and is fork tender, I think it will hold together sufficiently for sandwich slices. But I think it will be better using the precooked version. I'll try that with the same amount of meat (already portioned out) as meatballs tomorrow and I will use the same half cup of raw lupin but cook it by package directions first. All meatballs will be baked, but half of them I'll roll in the lupin flour as a crust. For those missing the crust of fried foods, I think it will be a nice texture. For hubby and Keto, fat isn't an issue.