View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 06:23 PM
Cena

I messaged Farm Stand Quilt Shop which is Harriet and Carrie Hargraves page and they due to some changes in their lives recently they did not get it out yet. They are still working on Volume 6 and hope to have it out in the next year.
Thanks for finding that out! It was driving me a little crazy. I might be done with vol. 1 by then.

How have you adjusted to this issue?
Do you mean have I torn any fabric yet? Well - no, but! I'm planning to blog my journey through the QA books, beginning as soon as I finish this one quilt from a class I took locally. So I've actually bought some fabric I don't care that much about just so I can tear it painlessly.

Also what do you think of the steam and starch part?
I use starch, but have not used steam. This is mostly because when I really decided to go whole hog into quilting, I needed a new iron. I got a Rowenta, which apparently has issues with leaking water. So I decided I'd just run it 'dry' rather than worry about that.

That said, I've also tried 'Best Press', which is a 'starch alternative' that seems pretty popular, but I found it about the equivalent of expensive water. Starch stiffens up the fabric and makes it easier to cut and piece, in my limited opinion. I got turned on to starch first not via the QA books but another one called "Mastering Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins.

I recently ordered a wool pressing mat, although I haven't gotten it yet to try out. And finally, because I am a huge nerd, I tracked down and ordered a book called "Press for Success", by Myrna Giesbrecht ,which is supposed to be the last word in pressing. I'm the life of the party, I tell ya!

How about you - are you starching or steaming (or both)?