View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 07:33 AM
kkranig

I have been trying to work on the 1st project in Quilters Academy Book 1. I started out using the steam and starch and following the directions but my pieces were ending up curved and I didnt care for the cardboard like feel. So, I decided to start all over. I didnt tear the fabric again. but recut my strips etc. I was using an almost 29 year old iron that was spitting out water and leaking big time. So I went and bought a new iron and an extra wide ironing board. (I was using a mat that you use one side to press and the other to cut for pressing). I did buy a Rowenta iron, the box says it does not leak. I only used the steam and starch to prep the fabric. And pressed dry. I am still really struggling. I got one set of strips to come out right. The ones with the dark to the outside, but the ones with the dark in the middle (pressing to the dark) are still not the right finished size. I cant tell you how many times I have ripped and resewed. I am beyond frustrated! So, I contacted a local gal that I have talked to about quilting before and who advised me to start with Eleanor Burns Log Cabin quilt. I am going to meet up with her this afternoon and take my fabric to her and she is going to help me get started on the Burns Log Cabin Quilt. I am also going to have her look at the strip that I was working on and see if she can figure out why it isn't coming out. Not fond of switching gears, but I have done it before. I may come back to the quilters academy down the line. Not sure yet.