View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Barb in Louisiana

Please don't get discouraged. New techniques are discovered all the time by people who don't follow the "rules". I started quilting and was using steam but found that it was changing my fabric and stretching it. I don't pre-wash, so there is no need to starch before I cut. The sizing keeps the fabric moderately stable.

After realizing that the steam was what was making my good block go bad....seams would move sideways, size would change, I decided to try the dry iron. It was a miracle for me.

Also, if you are a new quilter and sewer, I would suggest you do a simple quilt. Something like cut squares of fabric (could be anywhere from 3 inches to 10 inches, your choice) and arrange them pleasingly, then sew them together in rows, then sew the rows together. This will help you practice your 1/4 inch and this type quilt is very forgiving. As long as all your seams are the same you will get a good product and will feel very successful. That means a lot to me. If you start off having trouble matching your seams, then offset your blocks as in a brick wall type appearance.

This website uses rectangles to achieve the brick wall look. https://www.instructables.com/id/Wor...ck-Wall-Quilt/

Edited to add: Just saw that you had been doing some mug rugs and some paper piecing. The pattern I suggested is probably way too easy for you.
Good luck and remember, that we quilters as a whole are our own worst critics.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-19-2020 at 11:47 AM.