View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 12:25 PM
PrettyKitty

Originally Posted by Lisanne
It's a spectacular quilt, but maybe the person who made it is the person who donated it.

Maybe the donor gave it just so one person who has to accept charity could have a chance to own something really nice.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I would put it back so it's given to someone getting the charity. Something similar happened in an old episode of Joan of Arcadia, where the donor specifically wanted some donated clothes to go to someone in need, and they sold them and used the money instead for the charity.

Maybe that would be fine with the donor, but at least try to find out who it was and get that person's permission before doing something else with the quilt.
Good point Lisa, I hadn't thought of it like that. But after thinking a little more, it's a bit of a dilemma. The charity I work with supports homeless people and also anyone who has issues with alcohol. We have to be very careful what we give out to people, as things we give out to our service users will often get sold on (clothes, housewares, even food) so they can buy alcohol or drugs. Anything above basic quality is held back, and sold to raise cash for the charity. It's a bit of a cut throat world, I'm afraid, and while people donate things with the best intentions, they are unaware that things are not always suitable to be given out. Example : We routinely give away donated men's suits to another charity for them to sell in their shops, because our service users do not want them.

I am going to try and find the story of this quilt, and see what happens. If I end up selling it, finding it a good home, then the money will go towards something that will benefit our service users, such as sleeping bags, wet/cold weather gear, food etc. I hope I have explained this ok, it sounds awful to think that a charity doesn't want something that a person donates, but we never say no to anything, but we do try to find the most appropriate home for it!