View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 AM
kkranig

I prefer the steam to starch to get seams, etc to lay flat because I don't like the feel of the starch. I have been doing the dry iron and only steam when absolutely necessary. I am going to try best press in the fabric prep process. I personally think that Quilter's Academy is not good for someone just starting out. She is very precise and if you are not fond of the starch and how stiff it makes things, then you may not like Quilters Academy. I think the Quilters Academy books would be good for an experienced quilter that wants to hone their skill, but I don't think its good for newbies. I met with the gal and we worked on pressing, cutting and even sewing. We just used scraps she had and started working sewing blocks together the Eleanor Burns way and I ended up with 3 blocks completed (We weren't using exact length of strips.) I am going to make them into a table runner. I am also going to make 2 more of these quilts for the practice. A lot of people have told me to start with her quilts. She has a very fast and very quick way of making her blocks. I ordered a few more of her books and I am going to stick with her for a while before I decide to move on. Because her patterns are very simple and forgiving, it will give me time to practice my cutting and 1/4 seam skills, while still making something productive. I feel much better and not so frustrated! Meeting with this gal really helped.