View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 07:49 AM
Iceblossom

I've been pressing open and quilting in the actual ditch for a few decades now, while there can be some problems it usually isn't.

But the big thing for those of us who press open is to use small stitches. Sew two pieces of fabric together and then tug at the seam. If any stitches come out, they are too big. It's ok to loosen a little of 1-2 stitches, but more than that, go smaller! And yes, it can be hard on the eyes. I have vision problems and I'm about at the point where I can't take out stitches at all if I'm using matching thread colors. But I scrap quilt and pretty much only use a medium/slate blue/grey and tan threads, one on top and one on the bottom.

This also applies if you do any sort of strip piecing technique where you sew strips together and then cut them.

But when you are quilting, you want a bigger stitch -- and a bigger needle. I prefer to piece with a 10 needle, I will use 12s. Depending on the batting I will quilt with a 12 or a 14. Smaller needle means smaller stitches, bigger needle means bigger stitches. And a fresh sharp needle! I can't say it's never happened but I don't think I've ever broken a piecing stitch with a quilting stitch.

Most of us don't change our needles often enough -- if you can hear the machine go pooka pooka while you stitch, that means your needle is beyond dull. They are reasonably cheap and easy to store. I buy the 3-size pack in bulk when they go on sale and every new project is a new needle, and sometimes I'll change it between piecing the blocks and then putting together the quilt.