View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 AM
nanna-up-north

Default A quilt show of vintage treasures

When we stopped to see family on our way back to Michigan from Texas, a cousin handed me 3 boxes of quilt block pieces and 6 quilt tops her great grandmother made before her death in 1962. No one from that side of the family still quilted so they were put away and not found until the cousin was cleaning out her mom's house. She handed them to me as we were leaving and said, 'do whatever you think you should do with them'. Well, I know what to do. I will quilt the tops and label them for this cousin and her girls. They should be treasures for them and they are so happy to have discovered them. I am honored to be the one to finish them up.

The first top is some kind of stars but I don't know the name of the block. There are actually 2 of those tops plus one of the boxes is full of more stars, enough to do another top.

The second quilt is a double wedding ring.

I don't know the name of the third quilt block. Does anyone know what this one is?

The fourth top is a Grandmother's flower garden. The hexis are about 1 inch across and I'll have to finish up the flowers at the top and bottom.

I think the name of the last top is 'Around the World'.

I don't know the age of these tops. Some have feed sack fabric between the printed fabrics and I plan on using some white feed sack fabrics for backing on those to keep them true to their age. I will machine quilt them because I want to get them done in a shorter time for the cousin's family. Thanks for looking. If you can help me identify the age of the fabrics or the names of the blocks I don't know, I'd sure appreciate it. It's such a treasure to have found these.
Attached Thumbnails 0000lel-1.jpg   0000lel-3.jpg   0000lel-5.jpg   0000lel-7.jpg   0000lel-9.jpg