Thread: Deal or no deal
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 07:40 AM
Iceblossom

If you want to work scrappy and you have the space to store them and the money is available, oh yeah, I'd dive right in. Then take take out my first 100 favorites and call all the others gravy. So, 1000 fat quarters would be 250 yards... That would be a good sized plastic tote or probably at least a box of my fabric (I really don't want to know how many yards my boxes contain). I estimate now that after having given away 50-75% of my stash that I still have close to 2-3k yards and that will fit in a large closet.

A couple of years ago I had an opportunity on Craig's List to buy 50 pounds of stash for $2/pound, most of it was early 80s but that means I have lots of fabrics to go with it even if they aren't the current "in" colors, they are quality fabric and lovely prints.

I have fabric in my stash that I bought in the 1980s, cared for well and the age isn't going to be a problem. For years I collected true vintage fabrics that were 36".

However, some stickers some chains use do become an issue. I recommend taking any of that off and if residue is left you have so much fabric I probably wouldn't even worry myself to clean them, just toss, or cut off portions with sticker on it. And folding around cardboard/just crisp folds can be damaging over time, but I'd say 10 years isn't enough to do anything a prewash won't take out.

Speaking of washing, there is no problem at all washing fat quarters by themselves in with your regular laundry. Could probably fit in 10-20 per load without stressing either you or the washer. Unfold and using similar colors, layer into your regular wash. Have a pair of scissors handy to cut any threads or snags that happen. Then, before throwing them into the dryer, hold by the corners and flap it until it makes a nice snap! sound. Toss into your dryer load and the goal is to get them out before they are fully dry... almost dry and then press flat for storage.