Thread: Machine binding
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 AM
FWLover

I prefer hand binding but have found this method’s results acceptable. Get Acorn Precision Piecing Seam-align Glue from Amazon in starter kit from Amazon. You will also like the pressing product! I don’t like a lot of extra binding on back so I cut my binding 2 1/4”. Try a sample first to see what you like. There are videos on YouTube on using the glue. I use the dots of glue on the edge of the wrong side of the binding and carefully bring the other edge to meet it and press as in video. The two edges are held together so no stretching and are easy to work with. Stitch the binding to the right side of fabric. I use Sharon Schamber’s method for this but I use the Acorn glue instead. Check out her video. Press the binding away from your quilt with steam. Starting away from the corner put glue drops on edge of the quilt 4” or so at a time. Bring the binding over the glue and press with dry iron holding 8 seconds or so. After you have some done, from the right side insert pins along the seam line as you would with stitching in ditch in binding seam. Turn to back side to confirm pins are in the binding. Leave the pins and continue for the entire quilt. I stitch in the ditch on right side removing pins as I go. My Bernina has a foot for stitching in the ditch. It has a guide in the center of it the rides in the ditch. If I take my time My stitches are rarely on the binding and are satisfactorily close to the ditch for me. Hope this helps. I don’t use the Acorn glue for everything but love it for borders and binding. It goes a long way.