Thread: Cancellations
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 04:33 PM
Three Dog Night

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
No event has been cancelled for large groups because of the flu and the flu virus is much more dangerous to children and anyone with a unhealthy immune system. This new virus isn't airborne so why all the mask wearing? If someone has it in your family then the whole family has to be quarantined for 14 days? Not may working adults can do that and survive the financial ruin. I read that most adults will not go get tested if they or another family member gets a fever. My grandson has a fever this morning. No one in the family is in panic mode to run to get tested.
The Quilters Anonymous show scheduled for March 13-15 was cancelled (I posted the notice earlier) you can www.quiltersanonymous.org. Also the Emerald City Comic Con has cancelled their event scheduled in Seattle this weekend www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com. The SXSW festival in Texas and a music festival have been cancelled in Florida. The Northshore School District has closed all schools (online classes only) until April and University of Washington is closed for rest of semester (online classes).

The virus can be spread by respiratory droplet from infected people when they breath, cough or sneeze which is why the best defense is to wash hands and avoid touching your face, mouth, nose and eyes. It is not known how long the virus can live on a surface; I have heard everything from a few hours to a few days.

The outbreak at the Kirkland nursing home is about 20 miles south of my home and it has resulted in 17 deaths, the residents and staff have still not been tested and this is a week after the outbreak occurred, they have not been supplied with tests. There is now 19 total deaths in WA state.

The health district in King and Snohomish Counties have suggested to avoid events where over 50 people may be gathered. The biggest problem is that most of the population (80%) will not be affected by severe symptoms; will be like cold or flu or no symptoms at all but they can carry the virus to those who are most at risk. The Seattle Times and Everett Herald are good sources if you want to know more about what is happening here in Washington State. We are ground zero has first reported case of Covid-19 and first deaths. This is the reason for the quarantining of people who have been in contact with those who have been diagnosed with virus. My husband has COPD and this could be deadly for him as my friends also who have heart conditions or asthma, I will be curtailing my activities until things get under control and washing my hands often.

Sorry this is long but this is a serious virus that we still don't know enough about and there are not enough tests even if you wanted one or any vaccine available. It will be a hardship on any who are told to quarantine as many people do not have sick leave or will lose their job if they aren't there but this should not be an excuse to go to work and possibly infect others, employers need to step up and help their employees. People over profits.