View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 05:01 AM
Macybaby

I made my first quilt about 40 years ago - back before rotary cutters and rulers. It was a sampler type and I designed the 12" blocks. I did it when I was staying with my parents with a baby, while my husband was in Basic Training for the Army National Guard. It was king size, sandwiched in the front yard in the fall and hand quilted over the winter and ready for our bed when DH got home in the spring. When family was cleaning out the house after my Mom passed, they found a box with my name on it - and inside was the patterns and templates for that quilt! I had no idea that my Mom had kept them after I was done using them.

I have been sewing since I was about 5, and sewing was my first carrier and I learned that the part of owning a business I liked the most was the Accounting, so after my second child was born, I went back to school and now work as an Accountant and sew for fun. I sewed a lot until after we bought our first house and then homeowner stuff and raising kids took the lead and there were years in between where I did very little sewing.

Then about 10 years ago there was a mystery lap quilt project on another board (it had a sewing subforum) and I thought it looked fun so I dug out my sewing machine and ironing board and I've never looked back.

I recently moved, and have a really nice sewing studio and managed to cram 120 of my vintage sewing machines in there, along with my big embroidery machine, serger, sashiko, Juki industrial straight stitch machine and my HQ 24" long arm.

I've been using "Macybaby" as a user name for 15 years. The original "Macybaby" was a weanling filly I bought- and that was her nickname. Have not owned horses for several years, and was planning on dropping that user name, but then I got a ragdoll kitten in January, and "Macy" was the perfect name for her. So now I have a new "Macybaby" in my life.