View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 07:49 AM
Iceblossom

Default Corned Beef and Cabbage

My hubby had never had it before he lived with me and just loves it and now calls March "Corned Beef Month". I don't do anything fancy, basically I just take it out of the package and simmer it on the stove top for a couple of hours. We like the brands with the spice packet and add a bay leaf and a couple more peppercorns. I take the meat out once it is tender and then turn up the heat a bit to cook the red potatoes and cabbage quarters.

The biggest clue for success I've found is buying a good corned beef. The ones I get from Costco are nice, the ones I get from Safeway... not always so good. Look at the amount of liquid/preservative contained in the weight. Some of them are so injected they come out like lace once they are cooked.

My BFF cooks her in the oven, she covers the corned beef with basic mustard and brown sugar and then bakes it, it is the best I ever had and what is what started me eating it, didn't grow up with corned beef either.

My neighbors make it more like a soup... never had it that way before and it was ok but not my favorite even though what I really like is the cabbage and potatoes.

Any other good hints or techniques?