Thread: New Bernina
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 09:59 AM
sewingpup

Originally Posted by Rhodim View Post
I am sewing on an old Bernina and Love her. Thinking about getting a new one to gain a bigger harp. Interested in a machine that also does embroidery, What are your pros and cons on the 500, 700 or 800 series? It is a costly purchase and I want to be sure. Thank you for your thoughts!
I got a 570 last spring.....and I am liking it.....I did have a bit of problem at first with occasional thread jams.....the tech did finally fix it after I took photos with my phone of the problems I was having and even left the mess when it messed up while piecing....he said he probably would not have found the problem if I had not showed him the pictures and left the mess under the needle...he said the timing was ever so slightly off and that is why the problem was just random....I have done piecing mainly on it and found it is a bit trickier to stitch triangle pieces together with this machine as has 9 mm feed dogs rather than the 5.5mm feed dogs my old one had....I don't like the 1/4 inch foot that came with it as the right feed dog is off the fabric...however....piecing squares is fine with it....I also got a straight stitch plate and that helps as does using the dual feed but I had to get a new 1/4 inch foot to use that.....I like the needle up/down and "hover" function that you can set three different ways.....it does allow for a lot in the set-up program so you can set your machine up to automatic know, lift needle up or leave down, cut the thread...etc....I am still learning about it...it is not a machine you can just sit down at and take off....but it is sweet once you learn how to use it! I got the 5 series because I have a long arm and did not need the huge space.....it also does the embroidery....but you can't do the big sized stuff you can do with the 700 series...