Old 03-12-2020, 09:50 AM
oldmanquilts

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
offbeat thought. and I would only try if desperate. If melting mono caused the problem could heating up the assembly and melting the mono again fix it. Stove top anyone? . and also, WD 40 does ugly things to sewing machines. It leaves sticky residue.
You won't get it to spin freely but melting the thread somewhat will allow you to push the shaft out, which probably won't happen without heat. After the shaft is out you can clean out the bore and shaft so the fit is normal. I'd be surprised if the mono residue didn't pop right off after cooling. Ream bore and clean shaft.

I don't where this "WD-40" hate comes from. I've been using it since it's inception in '59-60. It was the first aerosol product of it's type. I still find WD-40 to be one of the better solvents available for it' intended purpose. It is not a LUBE! No other solvent will cut old grease or varnish like WD. Of course if you don't clean the parts after getting them freed, and before oiling, it will gum up again. Not WD-40's fault.