View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 06:55 AM
IrishMom

Hi Friends! My week has been a whirlwind. I have two daughters, one in her Junior year of college and one in grad school. I started quilting about 18 years ago after I took a sewing class. I made my two girls matching dresses which took me forever to make and then they grew and couldn't wear them again! That's when I started looking at making quilts. The quilt can give so much more enjoyment time and be useful for much longer. But since I had two little girls I was making maybe one quilt a year which was usually a gift for someone. Then the girls hit high school and college ages and I had more time and I jumped in enthusiastically! And selfishly. I wanted to keep some of my quilts! So in the past three years in addition to numerous tee shirt quilts (a big hit with my daughters and their friends) I made a twin and a queen comforter for guest room beds. I also joined this site which exposed me to so much and helped me push my boundaries by joining the Summer Block Swap, 2 of the Patriotic Swaps, 9 Patch, my first Boom. and this one.

Ah yes, the whirlwind -my college daughter and I had a great time earlier this week heading down to visit some caves in Southern Indiana and staying at the French Lick Resort. If any of you are in that area it is gorgeous and the resort was wonderful, It was rebuilt after a fire in 1902 so everything is so detailed, highly recommend. And the caves are spectacular - on one we even went on a boat ride inside the cavern. So glad I had some special time with her! Then we came back and wow - I'm sure you are all being affected by the coronavirus as well. For us it meant hearing her school was going to be virtual until Easter (re-evaluating first week in April) with the dorms totally closing. Wednesday was a flurry of emails every half hour from her school with information. Luckily we are only 45 minutes from the school so yesterday was spent going down and getting her stuff and some of her friends stuff to mail. While I love having my girls home - this isn't the way you want it to happen. We also need to rearrange the guest room to make it work for her virtual classes. And we might be getting some of her friends here who can't go home yet. My grad school student is also going to virtual classes but since she has an apartment there was no urgency involved. Although she is thinking of letting go of her lease and coming home sooner. Just so much information to assimilate.

I hope you are all dealing with the changes and challenges occurring this week. Have a great weekend!