View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 02:06 AM
copycat

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CaroleLee View Post
Frustration big time. I have an Elna 7100 but is the same as the Janome 1600. Trying to free motion quilt and my thread breaks every few minutes. Last night I was able to go about 30 minutes but today about 3 minutes. I have changed needle, use good thread and reset the tensions. Any help would be appreciated.
CaroleLee
Check 2 things that I have found caused thread to break during free-motion quilting.

1. Check your needle hole plate. Mine was a single hole with a tiny nick at the edge of the hole that the needle brought the thread up and down. A repair person at a sewing machine store smoothed it away with a tiny bit of steel wool...which he said I could do myself.

2. Check your Hook/ if your machine has one. (mine is a Bernina) The hook had a tiny bur on the tip of the metal point that brings the bobbin thread up to the needle. Our guild had a program all about sewing machine repair and that is how I learned about this fix. Take a fine grit sandpaper or nail file and lightly smooth off the rough place. I could feel the bur with my finger.

Both times my problem was resolved. I hope you find a solution to yours.