View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 06:30 AM
rryder

Originally Posted by NoiseandKisses View Post
​​​​​​
I'm sewing on a Brother HC1850. I was using a Singer 7463 and had the same problem using that one too. I gave myself a larger seam allowance, half inch, and have the needle as far right as it will go because it would drift so far that it would eventually uncover the right side of the feed dog.

I know both these machines are capable of wide stitches. Is there something I can do to prevent this? Would a walking foot aid in this situation?
since it is happening with both machines and you have the needle to the right, it sounds like user error. I think Sewbiz’s suggestion of trying to guide the fabric by keeping your left hand at the side near the foot is a good suggestion. When I’m sewing I do not steer from the front, I use just gentle fingertip pressure with my left hand on the fabric right beside the presser foot. Also, is there any chance that your threads are getting sucked down into the bobbin area when you start? That can cause veering as well. Try pulling up your bobbin thread and then holding both tails as you start sewing. Slanted stitches could also mean a tension problem.

Rob