View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 07:42 AM
Iceblossom

There are things I keep in my pantry "just in case" that store well and have multiple uses. I've gone through some sketchy economic periods and found that life is better with dessert and if you already have jello and canned fruit on hand, maybe getting a can of whipped cream can make it fancy.

The no bake oatmeal candy/cookies... fabulous. I am definitely in the not only peanut butter but crunchy peanut butter camp.
https://www.cooks.com/recipe/3y0cb1i...e-cookies.html

The butterscotch/Chinese noodle thing, those also store well and aren't all that desirable to me, but in times of no groceries/no budget you can find them in the back of the cupboard for that unexpected company or occasion.
https://www.cooks.com/recipe/uf7j67z...e-cookies.html

Doing different things with the same stuff -- pudding is essentially a gravy! Gravy/sauces extend things well and can be served over toasted stale bread or potatos (either fresh or buds, another one of my high carb essential pantry foods). Having stock on hand (or that better than bouillon stuff is marvelous but should be kept in the fridge once opened) and I recommend having dried or canned or the shelf-stable boxed milk on hand.

The thing about having emergency foods is that you need to turn the stock over and so it needs to be stuff you actually use and you just buy in greater quantities. I have very little storage in my kitchen and so I have a stack of my Costco essentials, we buy cases of mushrooms, canned tomatoes of some sort (usually crushed), cans of chicken stock. In my last trip this past week I had to stock up on meat and included Spam and Tuna and although I'm not really a fan of the name brand peanut butter nor my hubby's nut butter I did get a two-pack of peanut butter as well.

We've been talking about it and I think this year might be the time to get a freezer. We've been looking at locally sourced animals but that will probably be next year, if we get the freezer this year. In which case, I'd be filling it up with keto friendly veggies and meat.