View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 03:23 AM
Macybaby

Three of the last four blocks I made needed templates. Here is how I deal with them.

I use EQ8 to draw up the block, and then I print it out full size. I doesn't all fit on one page, but I only need one of each piece so that does not matter.

I label the pieces I need and cut them apart.

Next I figure out how I want to cut them, and glue to the fabric using washable school glue. I make sure I have room for the seam allowances, and I like to leave a bit extra on outer edges for trimming.

To cut, I use my "add a quarter" ruler and though the paper is not much, it's enough of an edge to use to line up the ruler and cut. I have a 12" ruler also, if I have longer pieces. I bought this for paper piecing, but now I use a different method and don't use the rulers anymore. Was going to rehome them and then started using them this way. It's so much easier than trying to measure and mark for seam allowance.

Now I use the first cut piece with the pattern glued to it as the template. I still use the ruler to cut the edges, but it's easier to line up this way, and the fabric template "sticks" to the fabric I place it on top of so I don't have to use any more glue.

Once they are all cut, I carefully remove the template.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2020 at 02:17 PM. Reason: pics hosted offsite are not permitted