Old 03-25-2020, 07:11 AM
Iceblossom

Nice use of the rosemary and lemon zest, Novice, have you ever tried baking much with olive oil? It used to be "too expensive" for me but now its just another pantry ingredient.
https://www.bhg.com/recipe/lemon-olive-oil-cake/

Was thinking some more as I made my coffee -- I make a really good sugar cookie, I have the thickness of dough, size of cookie, oven temp, all that down. Although it is the "family" recipe, I think it's just a Betty Crocker cookie with a bit of orange zest grated in. But the nice thing about a sugar cookie is once you have the basics you can just dress it up or down.

Making sugars with lavender or other flowers is another way to impart just a bit of flavor and easy to do if you have the plants. If I'm recalling correctly you have quite the garden or at least plant collection. Heather is a potentially already landscaped plant that can be used in cooking or is nice added to baths! I also have some heather tea but I didn't make it myself.
https://incredible-edible-todmorden....ry/herbofmonth

I didn't really appreciate shortbread early in life, but sometimes you do want that subtle thing "with" and not stealing the show from your nicely brewed cup of earl grey or whatever and have become a real fan where it is my Girl Scout cookie of choice even. Still, however, don't appreciate scones. Rather have a biscuit or just about anything else other than a scone. Just looking at them makes my mouth go dry. Around here they are fair food with strawberries and whipped cream, but that should be shortcake!

Another favorite cookie was puffy ginger gems with just a bit of lemon frosting to brighten it up. Pretty sure that was also in the Betty Crocker book, not rolled cookies but spooned out.

Our family gingerbread was the flat variety, where you boiled the molasses and made it in the pan, not a bowl. Think that's from the German side of my mom's family.