View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 AM
Iceblossom

Good luck on the pie crust, Rhonda K, never had the knack myself. My mom can make a great crust, me not so much. Pretty much I don't do well on things that are rolled out. Maybe I over work it? Ingredients too warm? Don't know what my problems are. Pretty much too thick or too thin and never just right and certainly not flakey layers. And then the attention to baking that a minute or two can make either way. I can make an ok oil crust if I have to, but admit to buying prepared crusts.

Back when I used to get whole chickens and save the bones for stock I would take the chicken fat from the stock to make chicken pot pie crust. Make the stock/cook the chicken for the pot pie to further enhance the stock. Remove and chill overnight, lifting off the fat cap the next day. Hopefully you get nice crisp fat layer but sometimes it's just sludgy... For the pot I had, 3 whole (raw) chicken carcasses was the right amount for the pot, simmer until the bones fall apart, there's a place in the back that should fall in half and your stock should jell well -- you want it to be jelly or it isn't really stock yet. I'd take home the whole chicken, butcher it, wrap that central carcass in a plastic bag and freeze it until I had three. I don't know if there are economic advantages to buying whole chickens anymore (they used to be cheaper per pound if you broke out the pieced rate) and you could tell how good a bird was because you can see the whole thing. When you just get one right leg in a bag you don't know what the rest of the bird looked like!